Hormone Therapy for Men and WomenClick to see more information about Hormone Therapy for Women
Click to see more information Hormone Therapy for Men
Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) refers to the use of hormones that are molecularly identical to those produced by the human body. These hormones are derived from plants and offer an alternative approach to hormone replacement.
Hormone Replacement Therapy is by prescription only. At Hieber's Pharmacy, we offer saliva testing that can determine your hormone levels. We then will work with you and your physician to determine the correct medication for you.
Not sure if you need Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Complete this online consultation form and submit via email.
You can also download this Hormone Evaluation Form and fax to 412.681.8774 or bring to the pharmacy.
Do you have a prescription for topical hormone creams and have questions about the proper application sites?
Common Problems Treated by BHRT
- Andropause - Andropause is a gradual change in the sex hormone levels of men that results in physiological and psychological changes. Some symptoms include depression, impotence, decreased libido, muscular weakness and lethargy.
- Menopause - There are two main stages of menopause. From approximately age 40 to age 50, fluctuations can occur in one or all of the following: progesterone, estrogen, testosterone. Some symptoms of this deficiency are water retention, irritability, weight gain at hips, migraines and fatigue. From age 50 on, the levels of estradiol in the body drop producing hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness, memory problems, depression and bone loss.
- Hypothyroidism - Hypothyroidism is associated with the thyroid gland's inability to produce adequate amounts of T3 hormone. In most cases, commercially available thyroid medications are used. Most of these commercially available products contain the hormone T4, which is converted in the body to the biologically active hormone, T3 hormone. T4 is used because it is not quickly metabolized in the body and allows for a sustained dosage of thyroid hormone. However, some patients have an inability to convert T4 hormone to T3. In some cases, high cortisol levels will block this conversion. For these patients T3 hormone replacement therapy allows the patient to receive the hormone they need.
Vehicles Used for BHRT
- Capsules- Capsules can be made for any strength or any combination of drugs. We can combine several hormones into one poly-pill. At Hieber's we can also create capsules that are dye-free, lactose-free, and gluten-free. If you prefer non-gelatin capsules ask about our veggie caps.
- Suppositories- Suppositories can be used both vaginally and rectally. For BHRT, vaginal suppositories can be used to deliver the hormone directly to the vagina and help reduce vaginal dryness sometimes associated with menopause. An added benefit of suppositories is that by bypassing oral administration, you can deliver the drug directly to the blood stream, without first-pass metabolism that may decrease the effect of the drug.
- Transdermal Creams- Presently at Hieber's, we usually use Versabase cream or gel for all topical hormone replacement therapy. This vehicle has been proven to help active ingredients absorb into the skin. Topical application also allows a continual, steady dose of the hormone to be absorbed throughout the day.